Day in history for August 14, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Ned Davis' famous Negro minstrel steamer, 'Banjo,' will be in Davenport with its cargo of fun next week.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- J.K. Emmet will be the next attraction at Harper's Theater. He will appear Friday in 'Fritz in Ireland.' This is one of his most popular roles.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- A prospectus has been issued by the First Savings Bank Life Insurance Co. of Illinois, a new venture in the insurance field which will have its headquarters in Rock Island.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island Kiwanians at their noon session today decided to present the name of Earl H. Hanson, principal of Rock Island High School and former president of the club, as the club's choice for lieutenant governor of the Illinois and eastern Iowa district at the district conference in Bloomington, Sept. 11-14
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Two Hampton brothers, Ed Vickers, 19, and Richard, 17, left the Quad-Cities on their bikes for Sacramento, Calif. They made Glendo, Wyo., 900 miles away in six days. Their only mishaps so far have been three flat tires and a bent wheel.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Illinois State Lottery had a record year with revenues jumping 55 percent to $334.7 million in new money for state programs, said Michael Jones, lottery superintendent.
Back: Available days in August 2007