Day in history for August 13, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Why doesn't someone bring prairie chickens to market? They are selling for 40 cents each in Davenport.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- An aesthetic thief has been down on 8th Avenue and has helped himself to a number of plants and flowers belonging to residents in the neighborhood.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Walter Freeman of Rock Island again lowered his time of swimming the Mississippi River at Rock Island, crossing in 15 minutes and seven seconds.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Mrs. C.D. Waterman of Davenport became women's champion of the Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club for the 12th time this morning when she defeated Miss Velma Driffil of Rock Island.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A young ex-Marine from Moline may be on his way up to some degree of fame as a bullfighter. He is Rocky Moody, 22, who fought in the Korean War. Moody now is studying and fighting young bulls at Aguascalientes, sometimes called Mexico's 'bullfighter factory.'
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Twin Rivers Bass Association will hold its fourth annual Mississippi Valley Bass Clubs Tournament at Sunset Park in Rock Island Aug. 28. Area bass clubs are invited to send their best 10-man team to the competition. Proceeds go to the Foundation for Crippled Children and Adults. Last year's event earned more than $12,000.
Back: Available days in August 2007