Day in history for August 11, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The Illinois Central Railroad Co. invites the attention of farmers regarding lands adjacent to their road that are offered for sale at low interest.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The hotel at Black Hawk's Tower is now approaching completion, and it is thought that it will be opened to the public very shortly.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Captain Swain is investigating conditions along the Hennepin Canal and the river with the idea of establishing a packet line when the canal is opened for navigation.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Quad-Cities residents who looked into the sky this morning were thrilled by the display of the Perseid meteors. Torn from other worlds millions of miles away, fiery objects hurled toward Earth from the constellation of Perseus. Few are expected to strike this planet.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- About 4,000 thronged the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds yesterday on opening day of the fair and exposition to witness a thrilling show of stock car racing in front of the grandstand.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island County has poured $399,827 'down the drain' for inmate housing costs and repairs at the county jail since U.S. District Court Judge Robert Morgan's decision last October on a suit filed by jail inmates.
Back: Available days in August 2007