Day in history for August 1, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Prof. Cogswell, the celebrated magician, has been performing here for the past two evenings with feats that are truly astonishing.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island Post Office will be removed from the Mitchell and Lynde block to the former McCabe Store Sunday to allow for the installation of a new tile floor and 1,500 new lock boxes.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The national commission recently appointed to investigate the clamming industry in the Mississippi Valley, visited in the city yesterday, visiting the button factories here.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Atty. Albert Huber was elected president of the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce this afternoon at a meeting of the Board of Directors in the Fort Armstrong Hotel. He succeeds A.H. Bowlby who was named national councillor. Huber had been first vice president of the organization.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Blaser's Auto Sales, Inc., 1400 4th Ave., Moline, has been appointed exclusive Edsel dealer for Rock Island County, it was announced by the Edsel Division of the Ford Motor Co.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Seven days and 523 miles later, it is over. The Register's Annual Bicycle Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI) sponsored by the Des Moines Register, ended Saturday in front of the LeClaire Park bandshell in Davenport.
Back: Available days in August 2007