Day in history for August 1, 2007

1857 -- 150 years ago
Prof. Cogswell, the celebrated magician, has been performing here for the past two evenings with feats that are truly astonishing.

1882 -- 125 years ago
The Rock Island Post Office will be removed from the Mitchell and Lynde block to the former McCabe Store Sunday to allow for the installation of a new tile floor and 1,500 new lock boxes.

1907 -- 100 years ago
The national commission recently appointed to investigate the clamming industry in the Mississippi Valley, visited in the city yesterday, visiting the button factories here.

1932 -- 75 years ago
Atty. Albert Huber was elected president of the Rock Island Chamber of Commerce this afternoon at a meeting of the Board of Directors in the Fort Armstrong Hotel. He succeeds A.H. Bowlby who was named national councillor. Huber had been first vice president of the organization.

1957 -- 50 years ago
Blaser's Auto Sales, Inc., 1400 4th Ave., Moline, has been appointed exclusive Edsel dealer for Rock Island County, it was announced by the Edsel Division of the Ford Motor Co.

1982 -- 25 years ago
Seven days and 523 miles later, it is over. The Register's Annual Bicycle Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI) sponsored by the Des Moines Register, ended Saturday in front of the LeClaire Park bandshell in Davenport.

Back: Available days in August 2007

Local events heading

  Today is Saturday, Aug. 30, the 242nd day of 2014. There are 123 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: A large pair of elk, captured in Iowa, were exhibited in Market Square today.
1889 — 125 years ago: The Rock Island Arsenal dam was being constructed under the supervision of Charles Frances, of Lowell, Mass.
1914 — 100 years ago: Mrs. Frank Mixer, of Rock Island, was the winner of the final preliminary for the women's handicap golf cup at Rock Island arsenal links.
1939 — 75 years ago: Sixteen hundred persons — many from war-fearful Europe — arrived in New York aboard the German liner Bremen. For two days on the trip, passengers were cut off from the world with both incoming and outgoing radio messages banned.
1964 — 50 years ago: Police reported five youths have been involved in the theft of about seven cars in recent weeks. Three of the youths were arrested Saturday afternoon, one was in custody as the result of a previous arrest, and the fifth is expected to be arrested today.
1989 — 25 years ago: The Rock Island/Milan School Board is asking the city to tear down Franklin School and allow the school district to pay back the estimated $100,00 cost during 10 years.

(More History)