Day in history for July 9, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- An enlargement of the passenger depot has commenced in order to accommodate the express office, telegraph and baggage.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- There is some talk of a fall meeting of the Tri-City Trotting Association, but as yet no definite plans have been adopted for the contemplated event.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Cosmopolitan Shows turned over $85 to the firemen's benefit fund today as a result of their showing here last week. The company claimed that receipts for the week totaled only $1,200.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Carl. V. Brock of Marion, Ind., has been appointed manager of the McCabe Dry Goods Co. of Rock Island, it was announced today.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Eagle Signal Corp. and Local 2045 of the International Assn. of Machinists have reached an agreement on a two-year contract providing for wage increases, it was reported today by Carroll Wright, business representative of the union.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Construction began today on a $600,000, 7,900 square foot Mississippi Valley Girl Scout Council Program Center on 1st Avenue east of 20th Street, on property donated by the City of Rock Island. Elview Construction, Inc., Davenport, will serve as general contractor. Completion of the building is scheduled for early 1983.
Back: Available days in July 2007