Day in history for July 6, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The Argus has become acquainted with a certain preventative to attacks of mosquitoes, flies and other insects. Included in the recipe is glycerine, oil of spearmon and oil of terpentine. Is not the remedy worse than the bite?
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- A drunken phrenologist was about the streets last night examining the heads of those inclined toward that business.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- About 600 spectators were present at the opening of the new open-air vaudeville or air-dome on the empty lot next to the Harper House last night.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- No matter how hard they try, those pesky Plow Boys are likely to lose to Rock Island the rest of the season. The Islanders made it nine straight last night at Browning Field as they trounced Moline, 8-1, before 365 fans. The win boosted their lead over Davenport to two and a half games.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The purchase of the property at 1124 Division St. for $22,500 from Mrs. Kuno Struck was announced Friday afternoon at a meeting of the board of trustees of the Davenport Public Museum.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Temperatures of 92 degrees Sunday and Monday buckled streets, boosted swimming pool attendance and swamped air conditioning repairmen with phone calls. Temperatures are expected to stay warm this week.
Back: Available days in July 2007