Day in history for July 5, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- There was a splendid contest for cash and speed at the Davenport race track yesterday. The top prize was $2000 for the four-mile heat. Some of the best horses in the country were entered.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Fourth of July was quietly observed, except for the continuous explosion of firecrackers and torpedoes.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Gun Club held two matches yesterday at the Watch Tower range. The winners were E.C. Eberhart and Ben Driffill.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- John W. Graham of Rock Island was elected secretary of the Elks lodge last night, Graham also has been appointed assistant manager of the Elks club rooms.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Estimated figures show that between 70,000 and 75,000 people are on the Centennial Bridge between Rock Island and Davenport each day, a figure well over the entire population of the City of Rock Island.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Two years ago, it was an eyesore, a disgrace to the community. Soon it will be a point of pride. Soule Bowl, the football and track home of the East Moline Panthers, is nearing completion of its $1.3 million renovation project. It is scheduled to be completed August 15th. 'I couldn't be happier with it,' said East Moline athletic director Gene McCarter as he surveyed the bowl recently.
Back: Available days in July 2007