Day in history for July 30, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The man who struck Billy Patterson is said to be in town and on his way to Iowa City.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Bottled soda water is becoming a fashionable refreshment and quantities of the beverage have been sold here this summer.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Several freshwater herring have been caught recently in the Mississippi and Rock rivers.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Gene Sarazen, who holds two major golfing titles, and Tommy Armour, British Open champion, arrived in Rock Island this afternoon for their exhibition match at the Black Hawk Hills Country Club. They will play two of the Quad-Cities' leading golfers, Carter Abrahamson, Black Hawk professional, and Dr. Paul Barton of the Davenport Country Club.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A child's shoe that may be nearly a hundred years old was uncovered by Ed Clark, Cambridge, while redecorating his home. Clark was removing plaster from the living room when he discovered the shoe imbedded in the plaster.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- It's just a preliminary figure handed down by Rock Island County Jail architects Phillips Swager Associates, but the $9 million price tag got oohs and aahs from Rock Island public building commission members during Thursday's meeting at the Rock Island County Board conference room.
Back: Available days in July 2007