Day in history for July 29, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday was a warm, comfortable day, though a bad one for flies. The high recorded was 74 degrees.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The number of aesthetic young men who wear immense lilies pinned to their coat lapels is sadly on the increase in this city.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The commissioner of the state board of charities arrived in the city today to investigate the application of the Rock Island County Humane Society for articles of incorporation.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- J. Paul Califf, Aledo attorney and former resident of Rock Island, was chosen as a member of the state managing committee for the Democratic campaign in Illinois this fall at a meeting of party leaders today in Springfield.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Collection of the Moline wheel tax started today in the city clerk's office at city hall. Mrs. Lillian Carlson, city clerk, said 18,000 windshield stickers have been received. The cost for pleasure cars will again be $4 until Sept. 1, when a penalty of 50 cents a month will be added for later purchasers.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Two local students recently won awards in the Junior Engineering Technical Society's annual summer program at Bradley University, Peoria. Dave Sheesley of Moline and Joe Fuqua of East Moline both won second places in the design competition.
Back: Available days in July 2007