Day in history for July 28, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Our city is said to be the cleanest in Illinois.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The highest temperature during the past week was 90 degrees and the lowest was 68 degrees, according to the weekly report of the weather office at the Rock Island Arsenal.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Silvis painter, over whose discharge the carmen on the entire Rock Island system went on strike a week ago, returned to work today and difficulties between the railroad and the union men are ended.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- A small-mouthed bass weighing three and three-quarters pounds, believed to be one of the largest ever landed in this locality, was caught by Earl J. Williams, 1548 28th St., Rock Island, in Green River, near Geneseo.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Some of television's 'giveaway' big money is headed for Sherrard due to the electronic knowledge of 11-year-old David Juncheon. David, as the challenger of Robert Strom, last night split the top money on the $64,000 Challenge.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Kay McManus, Niabi Zoo director, has been named a professional fellow in the American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums. The AAZPA, the world's largest zoo and aquarium organization, is a non-profit group with the goal of advancing zoos and aquariums as educational institutions.
Back: Available days in July 2007