Day in history for July 25, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- An auctioneer engaged in selling Webber's stock of dry goods could not get a bid on anything he put up. Determined to get at least one bid, he put up his own 50 cent piece for sale. The high bid was 40 cents.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island Board of Education's tax levy for the expenses of the current year is the same as that for the past year, $25,000.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Several additions to the plant of the Rock Island Stove Co. have been completed. The enlarged building is needed because of the increase of production over the past few years.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- A Rock Island man was bound over to the Grand Jury by Police Magistrate John T. Bauer on a charge of larceny of an automobile. The man claimed he took the auto by mistake.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The sale of three former mansions, once homes of pioneer Rock Island families, was announced today. Involved are the former F.C.A. Denkmann, T.B. Davis and William H. Marshall properties on 26th St. between about 6th and 7th Aves.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- An East Moline woman had a narrow brush with death Friday night after she apparently slashed her jugular vein during an accidental fall in her home. Authorities theorize she fell and caught her throat on a table corner or other sharp object.
Back: Available days in July 2007