Day in history for July 24, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Graham, at his stove and tin-ware store, has just received a large lot of iron chairs, mantles, grates and gas fixtures which he sells astonishingly cheap.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- A test of water pressure in the city main was made last night when the Rescue Hose Company threw two streams of water over the spires of the Central Presbyterian Church.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- More than 3,000 carmen employed in the shops of the Rock Island Lines are now on strike. The walkout was called in sympathy with the cause of the striking carmen at Silvis.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Children of the Rock Island play grounds will hold their annual Lantern Parade at the Public Schools Stadium. This will be the first year in the stadium. In previous years it has been held in Long View Park.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Switches thrown today activated an entirely new $500,000 full color printing press including auxiliary equipment and signaled completion of the first phase of The Argus million-dollar expansion and remodeling project.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Twelve-year-old Suzanne Hoke broke into tears when the judge handed her the award for the best cat in the show Friday at the Rock Island County Fair. She clung tight to her cat, Bridget, a red tabby that had wandered to the Hoke home as a stray.
Back: Available days in July 2007