Day in history for July 20, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- On July 18th we received the Davenport News of July 15th - only three days from Davenport to this city.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- This morning a horse belonging to a lightning rod salesman ran away with his buggy and upset it on 17th St. It took the man some time to collect all his lightning rods.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Major J.C. Long announced today that water will be turned into the Hennepin Canal feeder from the Rock River about Oct. 1. The heavy rains have delayed work on the feeder.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- John H. Stapp, Rock Island, was elected secretary of the district Florists' Telegraph Delivery Assn. at a meeting last night in the Fort Armstrong Hotel.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Two workmen on the government bridge rehabilitation project received minor injuries yesterday when the scaffold elevator on which they were working broke loose and fell 10 feet to the bridge roadway. The accident was the first on the million dollar project since work started this spring.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Neighbors say it smells terrible, attracts hordes of flies and makes eating outdoors a stomach-turning experience. George Lundahl, of 4340 4th Ave., East Moline, says his family has dubbed it 'the Downs dung mountain,' and they're not happy about its eruption in their neighborhood.
Back: Available days in July 2007