Day in history for July 17, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We are informed that the building for the Union High School will be completed this fall at a cost of $25,000.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The streetcar drivers are wearing broad smiles these days as all of the horses have been provided with new fly nets and present a gay and festive air.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Rev. R.B. Williams was requested to remain as pastor of the First Methodist Church at the fourth quarterly conference of the congregation held last night.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The Belgian-American Brotherhood in Rock Island will dedicate its flag at ceremonies Sunday, Sept. 4. Invitations have been mailed to organizations throughout Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana. Several thousand persons are expected to attend. Members and visitors will parade to St. Paul's Catholic Church.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A severe lightning bolt struck in the Quad-City area last night 'blacking out' sections of Moline, East Moline, Silvis and some nearby rural areas.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Rev. Marlin Miller will be a little closer to God when he delivers his Sunday sermon Sept. 12th. He's going to do it from the roof of the Loraine United Methodist Church, northeast of Geneseo. On June 20th the church was filled to capacity and he had pledged to speak from the roof if that happened.
Back: Available days in July 2007