Day in history for July 16, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The new crossing between Guyer and Nordell's blocks is a pattern worth following. It is the only good crossing in the city.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- There are three cases of tetanus in the city at the present time, all resulting from the explosion of toy pistols on the Fourth of July. Two of the cases are expected to prove fatal.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The parade of the Ringling Brothers Circus yesterday was about the finest thing ever seen in this city in the way of a circus. There were 600 horses and 1,286 persons in the column.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The Rev. Thomas J. Jordan, formerly curate at St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Rock Island, has been named chancellor of the Peoria Diocese. In February, 1931, Father Jordan was promoted to the Directorship of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith in the Diocese.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The Davenport Levee Commission approved the construction of a 330-foot loading ramp for small boats in the Credit Island harbor. The program is scheduled to begin this month as soon as the river recedes and cost estimates are secured.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Rock Island County's new jail may not be built next to the county courthouse after all. Some building commission members think the asking price for nearby property is too high.
Back: Available days in July 2007