Day in history for July 13, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The City of Rock Island is free from debt and the best solution in the west for manufacturers, merchants, mechanics and capitalists to settle.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The City Council voted to close the contract with the Rock Island Electric Light Co. for lighting the city streets by the tower system.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Several thousand people enjoyed the picnic of the Orangemen at Little's Grove near Preemption yesterday. The entertainment consisted of good music and good speeches.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island Council of Sea Scouts yesterday received a 24-foot motor sailer from the United States Navy yards at Norfolk, Va.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Defense testimony will be heard Monday at 9:30 by the jury in the Federal District Court at Peoria in the condemnation suit brought by the Davenport Bridge Commission to acquire land for an approach for a proposed second Bettendorf-Moline span.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The St. Joseph's Parish Council voted Monday night to offer for sale to the Rock Island County Public Building Commission the property that contains its 108-year-old church and junior high school. The council's decision allows the building commission to proceed with plans to buy property in Rock Island's west end for use as a new county jail site.
Back: Available days in July 2007