Day in history for July 12, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- 'Ginger,' the wag of the Banjo company, really hit at the bridge nuisance yesterday evening.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Moline Blues defeated the Rock Island Stars yesterday, 18-16.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The heaviest rainfall of the year occurred last night with 1.2 inches falling in 25 minutes. The total rainfall for the past 24 hours was 2.38 inches, almost a record.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Bethany Home now has 55 children, according to a report given at the monthly meeting of the board last night.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island's seven new air raid sirens were put in use for the first time when an alert was sounded at 9:59 a.m. The mock bomb did not fall until about 3 hours later. Rock Island has been designated as one of seven cities in Illinois likely to be bombed.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The St. Joseph's Parish Council will meet tonight to discuss selling the Rock Island church and adjacent property to the Rock Island County Public Building Commission as a site for the new jail. The church property, just west of the county courthouse at 13th St. and 2nd Ave., also includes Jordan Junior High School and a large parking lot. The St. Joseph's Church property is one of four properties that the commission is interested in.
Back: Available days in July 2007