Day in history for July 11, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We had a shower of rain yesterday afternoon, mercury 84. The temperature had been over 90 for the past three days.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Burlington Railroad is about to open the gravel bed between Lyndon and Erie and will use the material in placing the track to Rock Island in first class condition.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Word was received from Washington today that the government is planning to establish a plant at Milan for the chemical preparation of lumber used in the construction of barges and small boats.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The Islanders, apparently not satisfied with the championship for the first half of the season, handed Waterloo two trimmings over the weekend in their bid for the second half championship. They now have won 11 games in a row.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A Rock Island man and his brother, who haven't seen each other in 43 years, were reunited for a day here. They are Leon VandeKeere, 403 19th Ave., Rock Island, and Julius VandeKeere, a retired logger from Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The 11th annual Quad Cities Open is upon us. This year's field of 150 golfers will be hard-pressed to duplicate last year's five-way playoff won by Dave Barr. The five-way playoff was the largest in PGA history.
Back: Available days in July 2007