Day in history for June 9, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We shall soon hear the tramp of the iron horse on the road to Coal Valley.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The tramp room of the Rock Island police station is still occupied nightly by some wandering representatives of the traveling profession.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- H.H. Cleaveland was elected president of the Rock Island High School Alumni Assn. at the annual reunion.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Edwin Barry, apprentice at the Walgreen Drug Company, 1710 2nd Ave., Rock Island, won first prize in a nationwide counter display contest conducted recently. Mr. Barry received a gold watch.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A former Rock Islander has been an integral part of a team of scientists and engineers from Iowa State College, Ames, who have been conducting Arctic research for the Navy. He is Dr. Keith M. Hussey, associate professor of geology at Iowa State, who spent the summers of 1955 and 1956 in Alaska pursuing the research mission.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Pledges of $17,500 from anonymous, private donors will help keep the doors of Rock Island's only publicly funded day-care center open another year. Those funds, combined with increases in state aid, will erase a projected deficit at Rainbow Child Development Center, 4th Street and 16th Avenue, for the fiscal year beginning July 1.
Back: Available days in June 2007