Day in history for June 8, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Sheriff E.M. Beardsley asks us to say that those who have not yet paid their taxes are required to call at his office this morning and pay them.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- A sedate, old dray horse caused a sensation yesterday when he became frightened and ran down 4th Avenue, scattering stoves, chairs, tables and other articles along the way.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- There are at present 68 automobiles in Rock Island, according to the list prepared by the police department to aid them in enforcing the ordinance regulating their use.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Lawrence C. Murphy and William B. Schroder were nominated for commander of the Rock Island Post, American Legion, at a meeting last night.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Residents of Bowlesburg Grade School District No. 35 are making another try for annexation to East Moline Grade School District No. 37. E.S. Metcalf, Rock Island County superintendent of schools, said today he had received annexation petitions bearing the names of 936 Bowlesburg people.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- For the 11th straight year the Rock Island County Fair will participate in the Illinois Association of County Fairs Talent Contest. The local contest will be July 23. The association started the contest in 1972 to provide an outlet for Illinois talent.
Back: Available days in June 2007