Day in history for June 6, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Capt. Z. Cook, having moved to his new residence, corner of Adams and Rock River streets, has begun the construction of two fine stores at his old residence adjoining Webber's new block on Illinois St.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Milan road is improved greatly due to the many repairs that have been made recently.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The tailor shop of J.B. Zimmer And Co. in the Peoples National Bank building was almost entirely destroyed by fire this noon.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Steve Miller, regarded as one of the finest athletes in the history of St. Joseph's High School, will enter the University of Notre Dame next fall as a law student. Steve captained the St. Joseph's team last year. They topped their season with a 9-6 victory over Rock Island High School.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Islander's this year will be able to call their city hall their own. One more payment due Dec. 1, in the amount of $17,000, will retire the last of an original general obligation bond issue of $275,000, dated March 1, 1939.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Members of International Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Local 2045 of American Air Filter, Saturday morning voted 206 to 12 to accept a 7 1/2 percent wage increase over the three year life of the new contract.
Back: Available days in June 2007