Day in history for June 29, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We have a supply of the recent speech of Senator Douglas printed in pamphlet form.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- River men are of the opinion that the June rise this year will prove a serious affair. They are apprehensive of floods.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Official notice was received today by agents of the Rock Island and Burlington railroads that the two-cent fare will go into effect July 1.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A mink coat and a trip of their choice for two Rock Islander's in a national television quiz show in New York City. They are Mr. and Mrs. Elmer W. Copley Jr. They will appear on The Big Payoff to try for their grand prizes.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Jury selection began in County Circuit Court in the trial to determine the price the Illinois Department of Conservation must pay for a 13.9 acre tract near the 110-acre Oak Valley Eagle Refuge at Hampton. The state filed suit in 1980 to condemn the land to prevent its sale to Mississippi Bluff Motel Inc. Conservationists oppose the motel project. They fear it would drive away 55 eagles which roost at the Oak Valley Refuge.
Back: Available days in June 2007