Day in history for June 28, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Thomas Francis Meagher, distinguished Irish patriot and exile, arrived in this city yesterday and stopped at the Rock Island House. He will deliver one lecture in Rock Island tomorrow.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The reports from the agriculture regions are to the effect that the crops are in good condition notwithstanding the heavy and incessant rains.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island Lines began this month to publish a magazine for the benefit of its 37,000 employees.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Paul Kochanski, Polish violinist, will appear as guest artist for the Tri-City Civic Music Assn. as one of the four concerts to be presented next season.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A Coal Valley man, Wallace S. Smith is one of 14 officers cited for outstanding police work in 1956 by Illinois State Highway Police Benevolent Group Board. Patrolman Wallace S. Smith, an officer of State Police District 7, been given a third place award of $50 for courage exhibited during motorcycle races at the 1956 Illinois State Fair.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- A fire early Sunday caused about $15,000 damage at the Boat Limited tavern on Illinois 92 west of Andalusia. Andalusia Fire Chief Richard Kaiser said the damage was confined to the kitchen and a storage room that housed cooling equipment.
Back: Available days in June 2007