Day in history for June 26, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Will sombody tell us how some people, who have taken the newspaper for two or three years, plead that they are too poor to pay for it and then are seen entering every show that comes along with their entire family of nine children?
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The storm Saturday night played havoc with the several railroads centering in this city. Tracks were washed out and several trains were abandoned.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- F.C. Denkman, retiring president, and Dr. J.W. Stewart were reelected members of the school board yesterday. They had no opposition but received 304 votes.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island, Matherville, Viola and Alexis will become neighbors in a truer sense tomorrow when all of Highway 85 will be opened for traffic between these points.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Preliminary work is expected to start this fall on a new shopping center in Bettendorf, with a major portion of construction planned for next spring. Plans for the new center, to be located on the junction of Kimberly and Middle Rds. and E. Locust St. were confirmed today by Martin Bucksbaum.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Jill Swanson, Woodhull, was a member of the winning panel in a 'knowledge bowl' competition at a recent convention for Illinois State Respiratory Therapists near Chicago.
Back: Available days in June 2007