Day in history for June 20, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- There seems to be considerable excitement in Davenport over smallpox. There are no cases in this city that we are aware of.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- P.D. Burke opened a new blacksmithing and horseshoeing shop yesterday on 3rd Avenue near 17th Street.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Islanders are still tied for first place with Decatur in the Three-I league race. They are expected to gain the top spot during their stay in Bloomington, which begins tomorrow.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island extended the glad hand of welcome to Illinois Eagles as state officers and delegates began to arrive for the 26th annual state convention beginning tomorrow. Between 300 and 400 delegates and several hundred visitors are expected to be on hand.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Herb Parsons, a man who 'had to shoot to live' while a boy, is now in the Quad-Cities with the title of 'the world's fastest gun handler.' Parsons will be one of the chief attractions at the Rock Island Arsenal's Sports Show, which will be held at the Arsenal this Saturday.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Census figures show that much of the recent population growth in the Illinois Quad Cities has been in the smaller communities. One of them, Colona, is now gaining a large group of small houses, the Greenwood Subdivision.
Back: Available days in June 2007