Day in history for June 17, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Papers containing the scientific article in regard to the comet can be had at our office for five cents each.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Two new cases of smallpox have been reported in the city and seven in Davenport. However, there is little fear of an epidemic.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The police have been given orders to strictly enforce the law providing for the closing of saloons from midnight until five in the morning.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Clyde M. Maynard, Rock Island, was elected noble grand of the Ucal Lodge of Odd Fellows last night. He will succeed Roy Sattizahn.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A three wheel motorcycle was put into use today by the Geneseo Police Department, marking another step of progress by Geneseo city officials. The vehicle, the first ever purchased for use by Geneseo police will be used primarily to check parking meters in the downtown district and parking areas located near the business section.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Rock Island County Farm Bureau Young Farmer's Organization will be holding a zoo donation project. Donations of hay or straw are needed for the animals at Niabi Zoo in Coal Valley. According to zoo officials, about 2,200 bales of hay are used each year at the zoo. The straw is needed for bedding the animals.
Back: Available days in June 2007