Day in history for June 11, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The express train from Chicago the other day had 10 passenger cars full of passengers and three baggage cars.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- H.J. Symes of Rock Island, amateur billiard champion of the northwest, defeated Lannie McAfee of Davenport in a match game last night.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- William H. Taft, secretary of war, arrived in Rock Island this afternoon accompanied by General William Crozier, chief of ordinance.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Famous canine movie star ''Rex'' was visiting Rock Island today with his master as a featured act in the Sam B. Dill Circus which early this morning pitched its tents here.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- George H. McDonald was named president of the Rock Island Library Board last night, succeeding Ben T. Reidy, who had served three years. Mrs. W. C. Grant was named vice president, an office that had been held by Mr. McDonald. Marshall C. McClain, a former president and former secretary, was named secretary, succeeding the late Prof. Oscar L. Nordstrom.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- In a move he says is aimed at keeping the city financially sound, East Moline Mayor Denny Jacobs, ordered all city employees to take one unpaid day off per month and keep overtime to a minimum. The order, Jacobs said, will remain in force until further notice.
Back: Available days in June 2007