Day in history for May 9, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- We are informed that a teaspoonful of table salt dissolved in a tumbler of water will check the most violent attack of palpitation of the heart in a few minutes.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- A band of Italian musicians paraded the streets yesterday and received several nickels from the many lovers of music.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- City Clerk Martin Rudgren has signed 62 saloon licenses for this year. Several saloons have been refused because of conditions existing in these places.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Eighty Rock Island residents went to Peoria yesterday to attend the first annual Orphans Day program and the Washington bi-centennial observance of the Guardian Angel Orphanage.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A flash fire, believed caused by sparks, destroyed a portion of a wooden canopy at the Johnson Sheet Metal Works in East Moline shortly after 1 yesterday afternoon. Two large air-conditioning cooling towers were damaged extensively and a third was slightly charred.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Imagine a private room complete with carpet, sofa bed, desk and pictures on the wall. No, it's not the Sheraton-Rock Island, it's Franciscan Hospital's new Family Centered Care Unit. Opened in September, the unit features 16 large private rooms and three two-room suites.
Back: Available days in May 2007