Day in history for May 8, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- A load of hay has been sold in this city for $40 a ton. This price is enough to frighten any man from keeping a team of horses.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The electric machine is seen on the street corner together with other indications of the arrival of spring.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Mayor Henry G. Schaffer was installed at the meeting of the City Council last night. He took over the gavel from former Mayor George W. McCaskrin.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Mrs. W.H. Marshall was reelected commissioner of the Rock Island Girl Scouts at the annual meeting of the council in the home of Mrs. Elizabeth H. Barton.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- About 8,000 gallons of paint will be applied to the 11 large roller gates of Lock and Dam 15, Rock Island, during the next two years. The major undertaking is being started this week. The 110-foot rollers will be hoisted out of the water, one by one, and will be painted inside and out.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Rock Island County Humane Society shelter in Milan recently underwent about $14,000 of remodeling. Judy Kitchen, assistant manager, said more than $5,000 has been invested on 34 stainless steel cat and puppy cages. Kitchen and other humane society members are proud of the improvements - especially this week during ''Be Kind to Animals Week.''
Back: Available days in May 2007