Day in history for May 4, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Mr. Requa is now on hand with a large assortment of jewelry, watches and rings.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The roads leading out into the country are reported to be in excellent condition and an increased trade from the rural district is anticipated.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Freezing weather last night killed all young vegetation and all fruit buds were badly injured. The temperature dropped to 29 degrees.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Salary cuts for teachers, together with other economies, enabled the Rock Island Board of Education to announce the 1932-33 school budget at more than $35,000 lower than last year.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A small, one-eyed yellow terrier today was credited with saving the life of a Bettendorf man. The pet awakened his master during a fire in a four-room cottage. And in turn, the dog owner rescued the animal from the blazing structure.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- A group of Rock Island residents would rather have a park in their neighborhood than a grocery store and they are taking steps to keep it that way. Residents near Reservoir Park, 24th Street and 18th Avenue, suspect that Lucky Stores in Milan is considering purchasing or leasing the park from the city for use as an Eagle Discount Store location.
Back: Available days in May 2007