Day in history for May 31, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday was an unpleasant, wet, disagreeable day and everyone we met seemed to wear a sour countenance.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The recent rains have caused the farming lands to be wet and unfit for planting.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- John McDonald, the Saville sisters and a large chorus will appear at the Illinois theater tonight in the well known play ''Humpty Dumpty.''
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Members of the Augustana College Alumni Assn. yesterday reelected Dr. A.F. Schersten as president at the annual meeting which was the first event of the college alumni day.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Over 5,000 University of Illinois students went on a rampage last night in Champaign-Urbana. Most of their rowdiness consisted of running, yelling and throwing water. Nearly 200 law enforcement officers from the community and east central Illinois finally subdued the rioters after four hours with the use of tear gas.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Moline Criterium Bicycle Races will be different this year. For the first time in the 16 years of the annual Memorial Day event, there will be no citizens' races, except for children 7 years old and younger riding tricycles and Big Wheels. The only older riders who can compete are those licensed by the United States Cycling Federation.
Back: Available days in May 2007