Day in history for May 30, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- A large drove of cattle passed through town yesterday bound for Iowa.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Numerous tramps are beginning to make their appearance in the city. Shotguns and good watch dogs are in demand.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Rock Island led the Three-I League in attendance yesterday with more than 5,000 fans at both games.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- City and county authorities of Rock Island today took measures to deal vigorously with any bootleggers or other undesirables of Davenport who may seek to establish beer flats, speakeasy camps, bars or joints on the Illinois side. In Davenport, a movement was underway for organization of a vigilante committee of 100.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island's marina in Sunset Park was opened officially this morning at a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony on floating docks which eventually will provide mooring facilities for 65 boats.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- When the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) opened bids for new highway projects Friday, it made a long-awaited dream of many Rock Island and Milan residents come true. Included in the bids was the 92nd Avenue extension project -- a 1.22 mile extension linking 92nd Avenue in Milan with the Centennial Expressway in Rock Island. The extension will cost about $5.8 million.
Back: Available days in May 2007