Day in history for May 3, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- New spring goods have just been received by Frederic Moss at his dry goods emporium. The store is known as the ''New York Fancy Store.'' Rich Paris robes and fancy spring and summer dress goods may be found there.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The rafter B. Hershey landed here yesterday with an immense log raft in tow.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Daniel O'Leary, popular Islander catcher, will be back on the Rock Island squad. He has been secured from the Atlanta team of the Southern League.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- A gym festival will be held tomorrow night at the Rock Island YMCA and the final rehearsal will be this afternoon and tonight.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- E.A. DeLong, 436 19th Ave., Moline, brought a fire to Rock Island firemen at 7:25 this morning. He drove his smoking auto up to the Central Fire Station and firemen doused the fire. The emergency brake of the car had caught fire and burned out, firemen said.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Archie McCardell resigned today as chairman, chief executive officer, acting president and chief operating officer of International Harvester Co. The resignation may be the first in a series of major changes by the struggling company, according to one industry analyst who is a former IH executive.
Back: Available days in May 2007