Day in history for May 29, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The person who took the overshoes of the Methodist Church pastor would sleep better if he should send him a new pair.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The faro bank, which has been in operation in this city for several weeks, has taken unto itself wings and hied away.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Twenty seniors at Augustana College received their sheepskins at commencement exercises held this morning at the college.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The annual Memorial Day parade was held this morning in Rock Island. The impressive procession was under the direction of Major E.H. Dunavin, marshal of the day, and Don Jones, aide.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The Moline street department is just about convinced that some people will steal anything. Clark M. Hartzell, street department superintendent, reported today that someone stole one of the 'Help Keep Your City Clean' receptacles that are placed on sidewalks in the downtown area.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- A plaster section fell from the Davenport Masonic Temple ceiling about 8:15 p.m. Friday, injuring an usher and showering patrons with debris during a theater performance, forcing cancellation of the show. The 2-by-6-foot plaster piece struck young Joe Bain on the shoulder as he seated people for the musical ''The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.''
Back: Available days in May 2007