Day in history for May 28, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Wright and Harris have opened a shop on Eagle Street. They are prepared for gas fitting, bell hanging, lock smithing and general jobbing.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Milan road is being macadamized as far as the fair grounds.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The temperature dropped to 36 degrees last night and there was a light frost.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Gerald H. Falder was the only new director named at the meeting of the Rock Island YMCA last night.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Bill Claerhout, first Moline High School athlete ever to win a state high school swimming title, has been honored by being selected to the Interscholastic All-American swimming team. Claerhout was the only double winner in the Illinois swimming meet last winter, capturing state titles in both 100-yard freestyle and 50-yard freestyle.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Fifty years ago Moline-born Richard Johnson graduated from Augustana College with a bachelor's degree in history and a dream. He had a yearning to see foreign lands and an interest in U.S. foreign policy. For 26 years he lived that dream as a career officer in the U.S. Foreign Service, becoming the first Augie alumnus to earn that distinction. In March, Johnson, 72, donated his personal papers and documents to Augie's Denkmann Memorial Library.
Back: Available days in May 2007