Day in history for May 28, 2007

1857 -- 150 years ago
Wright and Harris have opened a shop on Eagle Street. They are prepared for gas fitting, bell hanging, lock smithing and general jobbing.

1882 -- 125 years ago
The Milan road is being macadamized as far as the fair grounds.

1907 -- 100 years ago
The temperature dropped to 36 degrees last night and there was a light frost.

1932 -- 75 years ago
Gerald H. Falder was the only new director named at the meeting of the Rock Island YMCA last night.

1957 -- 50 years ago
Bill Claerhout, first Moline High School athlete ever to win a state high school swimming title, has been honored by being selected to the Interscholastic All-American swimming team. Claerhout was the only double winner in the Illinois swimming meet last winter, capturing state titles in both 100-yard freestyle and 50-yard freestyle.

1982 -- 25 years ago
Fifty years ago Moline-born Richard Johnson graduated from Augustana College with a bachelor's degree in history and a dream. He had a yearning to see foreign lands and an interest in U.S. foreign policy. For 26 years he lived that dream as a career officer in the U.S. Foreign Service, becoming the first Augie alumnus to earn that distinction. In March, Johnson, 72, donated his personal papers and documents to Augie's Denkmann Memorial Library.

Back: Available days in May 2007

Local events heading

  Today is Tuesday, Sept 2, the 245th day of 2014. There are 120 days left in the year.

1864 — 150 years ago: It is estimated that 300,000 people attended the recent Democratic convention in Chicago when Gen. George B. McClellan of New Jersey was nominated as a candidate for president of the United States.
1889 — 125 years ago: Alderman Frank Ill, Winslow Howard and Captain J.M. Montgomery returned from Milwaukee, where they attended the national Grand Army of the Republic encampment.
1914 — 100 years ago: Three members of the Rock Island YMCA accepted positions as physical directors of other associations. Albert Cook went to Kewanee, C.D. Curtis to Canton and Willis Woods to Leavenworth, Kan.
1939 — 75 years ago: Former President Herbert Hoover appealed for national support of President F.D. Roosevelt and Congress in every effort to keep the United States out of war.
1964 — 50 years ago: The Rock Island Junior chamber pf Commerce has received answers to about 65 % of the 600 questionnaires mailed out recently in a "Community Attitude Survey" to analyze sentiments of citizens towards their city's various recreational, educational, and civic service programs.
1989 — 25 years ago: The two thunderstorms passing through the Quad Cities last night and early today left some area residents reaching for their flashlights.

(More History)