Day in history for May 24, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- All persons who feel that we should have a good brass band in this city are requested to meet in the Rock Island Music Store next Tuesday.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Rain yesterday made it necessary to postpone the opening races of the spring meeting of the Tri-City Trotting Assn. at the fairgrounds.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- A rainfall of more than two inches was recorded during the cloudburst early last evening. It was the heaviest storm of the season and the lightning did considerable damage.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island County owners of property are charged this year with taxes totaling $3,652,794.38.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Police detectives today were investigating similar safe burglaries occurring last night at Geifman Food Stores at 2930 18th Ave., Rock Island, and at Kimberly Road and Brady St., Davenport. Officials said more than $950 was taken at the Rock Island store and $1,255 at the Davenport establishment.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Milan printing firm Desaulniers And Co. today received a new press that company officials say will open new markets for the 86-year-old firm. The press, a Mitsubishi L600, cost the firm about $3 million to purchase and install. Plant operations were halted this morning when the press arrived on seven trucks from Los Angeles.
Back: Available days in May 2007