Day in history for May 23, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The Ladies of St. James' Catholic Church are pleased with the success of their recent fair. Profits amounted to $693.14.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Seventeen trains are arriving and departing from the Rock Island Lines depot in this city each day.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Saturday Afternoon People, Rock Island weekly newspaper, has expired with the last issue yesterday.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island's Community Chest appeal to raise $25,000 to finance the functions of nine relief and social welfare agencies during the next six months will be launced this evening. Heading the drive will be Frank W. Black, Dr. Stuart W. Adler, Mel H. Hodge, George Schneider, R.C. Mitchell and Ben A. Horn.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A hand grenade was found in an alley in Moline last night but police said the detonator and explosive charge had been removed and the grenade was not dangerous. The grenade was found by children of Richard Nagel, 1926 13th St.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- An electrical fault is believed the cause of a fire which did an estimated $300,000 damage to the Garden Plain Supersweet Feed Mill, four miles east of Albany in Garden Plain Township. Owner Howard VanZuiden said firefighters might have been able to save the Mill's office had they not run out of water.
Back: Available days in May 2007