Day in history for May 17, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Any of our citizens who want to send copies of the mayor's inaugural address to their friends may get them at this office.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The bay horse that pulls Street Car No. 1 became frightened yesterday and pulled the car off the track.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The Rock Island County Old Soldiers' and Sailors' Assn. was formed last night to perpetuate the observance of Memorial Day.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Rock Island's postmastership was thrown wide open again today when the civil service listed three men as eligible for the job. Those were H.A.J. McDonald, E.H. Dunavin and Frank M. Brown.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Some 30 riders were preparing today for reenactment of the pony express days in a race tomorrow from Galesburg to the Quad-City Airport. The race will be between teams representing the Diamond Riders and the Black Diamond Rodeo. Relay stations will be set up about every three miles along Highway 150.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Moline Boys Choir will be one of many musical groups to perform this summer at the World's Fair in Knoxville, Tenn. The Moline ensemble will present a 45-minute concert on the stage of the Court of Flags at 8 p.m. on June 16. The Boys Choir has built its annual summer tour around the World's Fair appearance.
Back: Available days in May 2007