Day in history for May 16, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- A Catholic fair commenced on Monday evening at Smith's Hall, Rock Island, and will continue through tonight. The object is to raise funds for the church.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The seven prisoners in the Rock Island County Jail escaped yesterday by tunneling through a wall. Four of them have been recaptured.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Wilbur L. Rutledge of Rock Island received word today that he has fallen heir to Colorado property valued at $40,000 left by two cowboys his father once befriended.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Benjamin E. Bollman has arrived in Rock Island to prepare for ordination in the ministry of the Presbyterian Church. He is under appointment as a missionary to the Philippine Islands.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Drummer Louie Bellson and his wife, entertainer Pearl Bailey, were expected to arrive at the Quad City Airport for a visit with members of his family in Moline. They will remain in the Quad Cities until Saturday, when they will return to New York City. Miss Bailey is scheduled to appear on the Arthur Murray show on Tuesday.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The wheels are now in motion to build a community center building for Milan. A seven-member committee was formed last week to look into building a community center in Camden Park that may cost $300,000.
Back: Available days in May 2007