Day in history for May 15, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The Mayor of Rock Island has an inaugural address about as large as the city.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Twelve marriage licenses were issued by the Rock Island County Clerk during the past week.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- In connection with the Greater Rock Island movement, The Argus will offer three cash prizes for designs for a seal to typify the spirit of the city.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island City Council committee of the whole proposed an ordinance last night that would make the superintendent of parks subject to the appointment of the mayor with confirmation by the council. It also proposed the salary of Superintendent John G. Evans be reduced $400 a year to a figure of $2,000.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- More rigid enforcement of laws prohibiting pollution of navigable waters by petroleum products has been promised by Rock Island District Engineers. Numerous complaints have been received by Engineers recently from operators of pleasure craft. A number of oil slicks have been spotted on the the upper Mississippi.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Moline National Bank is a step closer to merging with some 20 other banks in downstate Illinois after word that the Securities and Exchange Commission has accepted the bank's filing for the merger.
Back: Available days in May 2007