Day in history for May 1, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The other Rock Island newspaper, ''The Islander,'' denies that it steals our local items, yet its denial is not true.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Considerable excitement was caused today by the introduction of a bill in Congress asking that a toll be collected on the Government Bridge between Rock Island and Davenport.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Sixty-nine seniors, a record number, will be graduated from Rock Island High School in June, it was announced today.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Phil S. Hanna, editor of the Chicago Journal of Commerce, and R.I. Mansfield, Chicago grain expert, will address a public gathering in the auditorium of Rock Island High School tomorrow night. Both will talk on various aspects of the depression.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- The first official use of the Hauberg Civic Center, 1300 24th St., Rock Island, occurred this morning. A meeting of the Sue Hauberg Guild of Broadway Presbyterian Church initiated use of the new civic center.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The first United Auto Workers local to vote on $200 million in concessions to International Harvester Friday turned down the pact to aid the financially ailing agricultural equipment giant. Rock Island Local 1310 voted 29-23 not to accept the proposal.
Back: Available days in May 2007