Day in history for April 5, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Rock Island enjoyed something new in entertainment. Professor Kidd's Elocutionary Entertainments were held at Empire Hall.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Hugh Warnock, W. Gray, J.Z. Mott, W.H. Whitman, J.W. Cavanaugh, J.J. Reimers and J.H. Karr were elected to the Rock Island city council.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The saw mill season was opened in Davenport with but one mill employing 200 men, the lone survivor of the many which operated in this area.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island YMCA boxing team, with only six boxers represented in the eight weight divisions, copped the 1932 state championship in Bloomington. Tom Donnelly proved to be the sensation of the tournament. He had been in the ring only two times before the start of the event.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Halpern's Department Stores Inc. has announced a major expansion of its Moline store at 2008 16th St. The firm, which operates stores both in Rock Island and Moline, has acquired and remodeled the store formerly occupied by Weather-Seal, adjacent to its Moline store.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- A last-gasp winter storm, pushed by winds gusting to 30 mph, wrapped the Quad-Cities in near blizzard conditions today. The storm glazed roads and snarled traffic as temperatures plunged to below freezing.
Back: Available days in April 2007