Day in history for April 29, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- A little care on the part of persons in charge of constructing the many new buildings now erected around town would save many sore shins and the sin of much hard swearing.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Guernsey press which has been used by the Argus since the winter of 1856, has been taken down to make room for the new improved double-cylinder Cottrell press.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The first circus of the season will be in Rock Island May 10 when the Gollmar Brothers Show hits town.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- An honorary degree will be conferred by Augustana College at its convocation May 31 on William Butterworth, Moline.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A cabin cruiser owned by Ernest Bauwens, Rock Island, today was still perched precariously on a wing dam in the Mississippi River off 23rd Street, Moline, after crashing into it yesterday afternoon. Moline police and firemen were called to the scene. Passengers were rescued in a small boat.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Moline National Bank is one of about 20 banks that would merge into a statewide ''megabank'' under a proposal to be filed with federal regulators. The new company, to be called First Midwest Bancorp., would include banks in eight counties. One federal official estimates it would hold deposits of about $1.3 billion.
Back: Available days in April 2007