Day in history for April 28, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The name of James Blake was announced as an independent candidate for street commissioner in the third ward. He is a good Democrat, as is also Mr. Simmons who was nominated at the court house.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The high wind prevailing yesterday prevented the arrival of any rafters from points above. The evening is exceedingly cold and a frost is expected.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- James F. Witter has been appointed city attorney by Mayor Schaffer and will enter upon his duties one week from Monday.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- More than a hundred furloughed employees of the Silvis shops of the Rock Island Lines will take part in a community garden project being sponsored by the general relief committee of the railroad in Silvis.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A ribbon-cutting ceremony marking the official opening of the Hauberg Civic Center, 1300 24th St., Rock Island, will take place shortly after noon at the outset of an open house event.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- The Moline School Board took its first steps toward the use of micro-computers in its elementary and junior high schools. The board agreed to take bids on three micro-computers for its junior high schools. The computers, one for each junior high school, are expected to cost about $2,400 each.
Back: Available days in April 2007