Day in history for April 25, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Persons who are so poor that they must steal The Argus from a neighbor's door may obtain a paper free of charge if they send their names to this office.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Eighty saloon licenses have been issued by the city clerk during the present year. The population of Rock Island is now 11,659.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Burglars entered the Cross Country Saloon yesterday and left with a quantity of bottled whiskey, 300 cigars and $1 in cash.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The French comedy ''LeVoyage de Monsieur Perrichon'' was presented to an audience of about 400 persons last night at the Rock Island High School auditorium.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Miss Anne A. Potter, Rock Island, was among young women and matrons featured in an Easter hat panel published Monday by the New York Herald Tribune. She is the daughter of Ben H. Potter, 55 Hawthorne Rd., co-publisher of The Argus. Miss Potter wore a hat of draped turban style.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Weather is causing delays in field work this spring throughout the Midwest, but local officials say it is still too early for farmers to push the panic button. ''It is still plenty wet and the soil temperature is a little cool to get real nervous yet,'' said Dean Oswald, Henry County extension adviser in Cambridge.
Back: Available days in April 2007