Day in history for April 2, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Yesterday, rain fell from morning until night. Too bad.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The city campaign has opened in earnest and considerable interest has been manifest in the result.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- Although the temperature dropped to freezing last night, very little damage was done to the fruit buds and small plants.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Most of the bands entered in the northwest district high school band contest being held in Rock Island today and tomorrow arrived at Augustana College gymnasium at noon today.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Rock Island Lines officials will be in Silvis this week to attend ceremonies commemorating the installation of a new $300,000 automatic switch control system at the hump. The system automatically controls the flow of traffic and keeps tab of where the cars are in the hump and their numbers.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- At 7 a.m. every morning you can find Jim Nichols in the coffee room with his Dispatch buddies. But he won't be found there much longer. Twenty-five years of Dispatch history ended today when the raspy-voiced journalist retired at the age of 62. Nichols' locally famous sideways grin, stretched below cocked eyebrow, has journeyed from city hall to courthouse to editorial page during his years at The Dispatch.
Back: Available days in April 2007