Day in history for April 19, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- A survey has recently been completed for a railroad from Port Byron to Sterling.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Sells Brothers' Circus will spread its canvas in Rock Island May 25. This is the first circus of the season.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- H.B. Hayden of Rock Island will act as judge in the debate between the University of Iowa and the University of Kansas tonight in Iowa City.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- The Rock Island County Republican central committee went on record yesterday in favor of a wet plank in the state platform.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A project that began 12 years ago in Pittsburgh, Pa., reached one of its final stages in Rock Island this week when Dr. E.E. Ryden, editor of The Lutheran Companion, read proof on the last hymn which will appear in the new Lutheran hymnal. The volume, which will serve more than 5,000,000 Lutherans affiliated with eight church bodies, is scheduled for publication by Easter of next year.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- More than 100 clerical workers at Eagle Food Warehouse in Milan began their work week today under a new three-year contract. Like union members who work on loading docks, in maintenance and as truck mechanics, the clerical workers gave up general base wage increases in exchange for higher pension benefits.
Back: Available days in April 2007