Day in history for April 11, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- Mayor Bailey handed in his resignation and retired to private life.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- The Rock Island Turner Society will celebrate the 25th anniversary of the branch with a special program April 15.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The village council of Silvis gave the Moline, Rock Island And Eastern Railway a 50-year franchise to construct a line through the village.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- Charlotte Anderson Warren, Rock Island soprano, gave a pleasing performance as guest soloist with the Tri-City Philharmonic Orchestra yesterday in Augustana College gymnasium.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Quad-City astronomers are going to get a treat late this month when the comet Arend-Roland becomes visible to the naked eye. The Popular Astronomy Club has made tentative plans to meet in Dr. Carl Gamble's observatory in Moline on April 27, when the comet is expected to be near its height of visibility.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- At age 3, Jerry ''Junior'' Jackson took a ride on a minibike. He's still riding seven years later and his latest stop was in the Houston Astrodome. There, Jackson claimed the Grand National Championship in the 60cc class. More than 90 bikers were in the class, but the rural East Moline youth won both his qualifying heats and the final among the top 24.
Back: Available days in April 2007