Day in history for April 1, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The Brazil arrived here March 30, having left St. Louis on the 27th.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- April Fool's Day was observed in Rock Island with the usual number of pranks and tricks being played upon the unwary.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- The heated mayoralty campaign of the past few weeks brought out a record number of voters this morning and an exceptionally large vote is expected today.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- William H. Malone, candidate for the Republican nomination for governor, will speak tonight at a meeting in the Fort Armstrong Hotel.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- Employees of the Sword-Morton Veneer And Lumber Co., Rock Island, returned to their jobs today following settlement of a two-week old strike. Under terms of a new one-year contract, the 43 workers will receive wage increases averaging 13.4 cents an hour.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- Girl Scouts of Service Unit 30 in Moline recently celebrated the 70th anniversary of Girl Scouting, with a birthday party Friday at Culemans Hall in Moline. An oil lamp dating from the late 1800's was bought by the girls to give to the Juliette Gordon Low Girl Scout National Center in Savannah, Ga. The center is the former home of Juliette Low, the founder of Girl Scouts in the United States.
Back: Available days in April 2007