Day in history for March 9, 2007
- 1857 -- 150 years ago
- The new pastry cook in the Island City Hotel is astonishing the boarders with unexpected delicacies.
- 1882 -- 125 years ago
- Henry Ward Beecher, the noted preacher and lecturer, spoke to a record audience at Harper's Theater last night.
- 1907 -- 100 years ago
- One man was killed and 14 persons were injured in a head-on collision of two passenger trains at Bettendorf last night. Four of the injured were Rock Island residents.
- 1932 -- 75 years ago
- J.J. Hagan, superintendent of Rock Island Public Schools since 1928, resigned last night at a meeting of the board of education.
- 1957 -- 50 years ago
- A Moline woman appears as one of the tourists of Disneyland in the movie Disneyland USA, now showing at the Paradise Theater, Moline. Mrs. Howard Breecher, 1518 45th St., Moline, is shown with her niece, Patty Jean McKey, waiting in line for the Peter Pan ride in Disneyland. Mr. and Mrs. Breecher were visiting in California last summer at the time the movie was made.
- 1982 -- 25 years ago
- If certain conditions are met, Davenport Osteopathic Hospital will build a new facility on a site bordered by Middle Road and Devil's Glen Road in Bettendorf. The present 150-bed hospital at 1111 W. Kimberly Road, Davenport, is not in good repair and has space limitations.
Back: Available days in March 2007